Thursday, March 13, 2008

Vegas: Day 1!

This week, I am in Las Vegas for a couple different reasons. The 1st half of the week, I am taking part in my dream workshop, called the Anti-workshop. It's only been 1 day of class and so far it is A-MAZING! Not to mention, I am in some great company with some fabulous photographers. I've actually never been to Vegas before and this workshop is taking place in the downtown district, which is definitely not the strip...this is the real, old school vegas. Nothing fancy or glitzy about it! I love it! The 2nd half of the week, I will be going to WPPI on the strip, so I will get that whole experience as well...

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

...the workshop is taking place at a little pub called the Brass Lounge. Rule #1 of the workshop was "Beer Before Liquor, Never Sicker" and Rule #2 was No Bullshit...LOVE IT!...
Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

...One of the best things about going to workshops is how much everyone learns from other photographers attending, not to mention the fabulous people we are learning from!...
Photobucket

...So, our assignment for the day was to challenge ourselves by leaving out fancy cameras behind and hitting the street with a polaroid camera, 10 shots and a cardboard Elvis! Our job was to go out and create some kick ass shots that tell a story in 10 images...
Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

...You know me and homeless people...
Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

...This is Doug, one of the photographers leading the workshop...
Photobucket

...At the end of the day, we had a critique. Some of these images were hilarious!...
Photobucket

...Some shots of Downtown Las Vegas...
Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket


... Some things I learned in Day 1:

*"Trash the Dress" Sessions = Old News, google Ophelia. Artists have been doing this for YEARS!!!!
* 1 Powerful image separates the good from the GREAT! And I consider myself 1st and foremost an artist.
* No matter how big, elaborate and crazy a fabulous event/wedding is, I can always find ways to simplify and tell a true story without all the 'fluff'


More to come from Vegas!...


eliesa

2 comments:

  1. Eliesa,

    I hope that you are having a blast in Vegas! I am jealous about both the Anti Workshop and WPPI, maybe next year! I hope you learn TONS!!

    - Amy

    ReplyDelete